Sunday, August 10, 2008

triumphant return

When we were leaving camp it was almost easy to leave Vetca. We always left and it was a place of so many emotions. When we left the intern house to get on our bus to start our 24 hours of traveling, it was pretty difficult. We had seen all the orphans for the last time, and I resisted tears during the goodbyes. We saw the Romanian volunteers for the last time and I barely blinked. Leaving the other interns felt different. These people knew me for my faults and for some of the things I do decently, like yelling. They knew me as a Christian. They encouraged me daily and reminded me about God constantly, something I definitely need in my every day life. And as we were leaving I just felt like I was going on a long mission trip, not leaving from a mission trip. I felt like I was leaving home. Saying goodbye to the guys was the hardest part. I had been searching for a long time about what it meant to be a man. Those guys all had something different, but all were men and I learned so much from them about that. Brian Briley really showed me what it was to be a man of God and a man who loves his wife. The bus ride was pretty blurry at first.

We got Bucharest and it was setting in that we were leaving and not just going on a long car ride. I got to hang out with Jake in the airport and sit next to Carrie on the first plane ride. Carrie was awesome to talk to because even if I wasn't visibly showing the emotions I felt, Carrie was, and I felt comfortable talking with her. On the next flight I sat next to Jake, something I really wanted. We took some sleeping aid pills and passed the heck out for 6 hours. Shout out to The Ronald, Jake's dad, for providing medicine for the summer. I definitely needed sleeping pills some nights and Nasonex on other nights to stop the snoring. Jake and I snacked and watched crappy Owen Wilson movies and chatted. Thanks for that Jake. We flew into Chicago which was exciting for me because I didn't have to fly anymore. The other people returning from Romania had connecting flights, and I never found out for sure, but I think theirs were delayed a while because of storms and stuff, sorry guys.

I was so pumped coming back and getting through customs to get to see Jackie. After some confusion, she parked the car and got out and we gave some pretty big hugs and some nice kisses. I felt like I was returning triumphantly from something to my fiancee. It was great. Just as I was on top of the world completely and utterly satisfied, God reminded me, you aren't returning, you're on a new mission trip, in America. It was nice for God to refocus me and not to let me step back into my old ways before I left.

I got back on a Monday and on Wednesday I had a job interview at a high school where I did my student teaching. I loved it there and all of the staff made it an amazing experience. Going into the interview I didn't feel stressed or worried like with my previous interviews. A lesson I learned in Romania was that God will take care of your future. I nailed the interview and 3 hours later I got a call asking if I wanted to join the staff. I got hired as a .6 advanced freshman ancient world history teacher, which means that I have 3 classes and the rest of the day I will be subbing around the school district. It is pretty incredible that God set this up for me. Not only will I get to teach, but I will get to sub around and see if there is another content or age group that I could work with. God is good.

This will probably be my last blog until something momentous happens which reminds me of Romania or if I return to Romania. Keep waiting for me to post all of my pictures. I can't find my camera cord and as soon as I can, all of the pictures from the last 2 weeks of the trip will be uploaded for you people. Thanks for reading. God bless all of you.

No comments: